Campbell Family

Campbell Family
A Dentist, A Princess, 4 Crazy Boys, and a Little Princess too!

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Grandma Marler


Almost 1 month ago now, this wonderful woman, Janet Carol Sanderson Marler, my grandma was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Within 2 weeks she left this earth to join many of her family members that have gone on before her in Heaven. She left behind a devoted husband, 9 children and their spouses, 43 grandchildren, and 45 great-grandchildren. What a legacy!!! I feel privileged to be counted amongst them. I am the 2nd of the grandchildren and what a ride it has been. I was born to the oldest of the nine children and because the oldest and youngest are 19 years apart I got to grow up with the youngest. I have to first thank my grandma for teaching my mother what to do with me. If not for grandma I may never have been bathed. Thank you Grandma for letting me have toast even though Grandpa said I needed to eat the oatmeal. (I hate oatmeal!) Thank you for teaching me how to tole paint. I love that you shared that wonderful talent with me. Thank you for teaching me how to sew. I realize that you taught my mother but we always seem to learn best from someone else. Thank you for helping me realize that not being able to nurse my first baby didn't mean I was abusing him, and that he would turn out just as smart with formula. Thank you for teaching me by example what an eternal marriage should look like. There was never any denying that you and Grandpa were meant to be together forever. I will always remember your famous line, "Does how I do this affect your eternal salvation?". I learned that although my husband does things that drive me crazy, or does them differently than me, if it doesn't affect my eternal salvation, it is okay and to let it go. Thank you for loving each of my children. I feel so blessed that each of them got to know you. Thank you for teaching me the importance of turning a roast. :> And still at the end of your earthly life you still continued to teach me. Thank you for this wonderful family you have given me. As I had the opportunity to say goodbye to you I have never felt so blessed to be part of this wonderful family. So Grandma I pray you keep your word and be our Guardian Angel. Watch over us and keep us safe. I am so thankful to be a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and that I have the knowledge that families can be together forever. I will see you again one day and when I do I will personally thank you for these wonderful gifts. Grandma I love you.

Her funeral will be February 25, 2011 at 12:00am at the Felicita Church Building.

4 comments:

Brittany said...

Becky,
What a beautiful, well-written tribute to your grandma. I'm sure she considers herself so blessed to have such wonderful, faithful posterity. I'm sure she's off and running already, but I hope she took a couple days for some R&R first. With all the grandkids and great grandkids that she'll be watching over, she'll be even busier up there than she was here. :o) If your family needs any help with the funeral, will you please let me know? We'd be happy to help in any way we can.

Melissa said...

Thank you Becky, I needed that. I count myself blessed to have grown up with you. Thank yo for being my niece, but also my friend. Love ya

Mike and Amie said...

Thank you for sharing your strength and testimony. I think you got that from your Grandma Marler too. What a gift! You strengthen me friend.
I love you Becky.
Amie White

Tasha Christensen said...

Becky~ This was a beautiful post, and so real. You are so blessed to have such an amazing family!! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family today, and I think of the great reunion that is taking place both here on earth, and the one that is happening in heaven with your family.